Bye Bamboo

My bamboo died.  I didn't think it was so sad till I realized I've left it out...dead, black, and dried up.  I can't throw it away....that's when I realized that I am sad my bamboo is dead.  I've had this bamboo for YEARS (at least 8).  Bamboo, in my opinion, is the coolest plant.  I love all things green.  I will always have a plant if not plants in my home, but bamboo combines so elegantly aesthetics with plant-ness.  It's a living art and it's so pretty.  Throw in a cool pot and you've got the greatest thing in your very possession.

This plant traveled with me from CO to ID for school and then back to CO where my parents loving cared for it while I was in Brazil.  Then it came with me to UT and we lived happily for 3 years before it joined me on my long haul to TX.  Now, my bamboo did not like to travel.....and there were probably a couple of times that I was a bit neglectful, but it always pulled through.  (well......except for that one time that I had to do a photo project from all scanned objects up in ID and I thought it would be a good idea to scan my bamboo....I don't know.  I lost one then and the trio became a duo, but these 2 were fighters.)  Every time I noticed my neglect or they underwent a move all I had to do was give them a little therapy (extra love and classical music if you'd like a tip) and they would perk right back up.  Now that's something.

We both were adjusting fine to TX when I left it for a month.  I had to leave rather suddenly and in the rush I forgot to arrange for it to be taken care of.  When I got back I had never seen it look so bad!  It was bad.  I did some major therapy...and was hopeful.  I was expectant more than anything...it had never done anything but perk back up.  But then instead of turning greener it turned black.  No amount of classical music can turn that around....oh, my bamboo.......

4 comments:

eden said...

so sorry!

in the past i've been a regular unintentional plant-killer. i'm getting better.

my suggestion - go with a philodendron. of course, they look nothing like bamboo, so you might not think it's an appropriate substitution. but those guys are hearty. and very forgiving. (:

sorry again. that's sad.

Arianne said...

Poor Poor Bamboo. I'm so sorry it didn't make it. I've never seen anyone put more love and care into their plants than you. Poor Poor Bamboo. At least more than one beautiful plant in this world will be the recipient of your TLC!

Mrs. A said...

oh bec.

Anonymous said...

I have a bamboo plant too and this winter it was on the verge of dying. My husband made fun of me because he says I killed a plant that requires nothing more than a little water here and there. Thankfully, the bamboo came back to life and is going strong now!! So sorry for you loss :( Other than your plant dying, I hope you're doing well!