My Current Inspiration



Ever since I transferred down to BYU in the photo program the professors have been asking us, the students, who our inspiration is. 2 years ago I had no idea, nope, not one. I didn't even know who were the big whigs in photography, past or present. I was thrilled to take the History of Photography class so I could finally find my inspiration. So silly. I remember a date I had where the fellow grew up with a father who was a photographer and had all kinds knowledge about the big whigs. When he found out photography was my major he asked who in the field I admire. I was currently in the Hist. class and I tried to remember a name, any name. I said Henry Brasthon. He told me he had never heard of him but he really liked Henry Cartier Bresson. Oh, that's who I was trying to say....I didn't tell him that, I played it off cool. Of course. Anyway, the moral of the story is that I fell in love with photography without ever knowing any of the Greats and without seeing any timeless work. It's a wonder I had made it as far as I had.

Thank goodness for education and an excellent program that has taken me to museums and galleries in various states and even to the doorstep of several successful and inspiring photographers. I have since grown to admire many photographers and their work; sometimes independent of one another and sometimes because of one another. Last March the Photo Department took us to San Fransisco. It was at a gallery there that I saw the above photograph.

It's a beautiful silver gelatin print by Brett Weston titled "Reeds, Japan, 1970". It caught me. I was lost in it. It was beautiful to me and playful. In fact, I'm pretty sure I giggled to myself as I admired it. Probably in part due to the awe I felt....an awe caused by this photograph I was looking at, Brett Weston's creation...

He was a direct inspiration for the following image I made this last summer:



We went as a Nature Photography class up somewhere neat (I cannot remember the names of any of the places we went...something I need to remedy). It was a beautiful park that had ponds and waterfalls and trees, etc. When I saw the pond plants I got so excited b/c I remembered Brett Weston and I wanted to try something along the same technique and see what i would find. It was a fun shoot, and a new way of photographing that I would not have tried otherwise.

These next images are not direct influences from Brett Weston in that I did not have him in mind as I took these photographs but all the same you can see his ideas echoed in them namely; abstraction from nature (or the things that surround us everyday), a closer look if you will.






One of the things that I love about Brett Weston's abstract images is that they are still very clearly in the realm of Photography. As I created my first series of abstract fine art images (one of my first posts) I struggled with this idea. My images became so "painterly" and slipped slightly outside the realm of photography. When I realized it I was troubled b/c photography is what I love and I wanted that to still be very much a part of the piece. I had to face the questions of "what is photography?" and "does the process of how you arrived to your final piece add to or diminish from the pieces?" Questions that we're currently debating in my Fine Art class; questions that I do not have answers to. All I know is that I want to take my abstract pieces deeper, I want to add meaning to them...something beyond aesthetically pleasing. That is the challenge I have given myself this semester. AND I want to retain more of a photographic quality, keep the elements that are particular to photography. I have to pull in the reins sometimes but to me it's worth it and makes a difference. Below is the first image I've created along these guidelines. Was I successful? (It's sad to me that you cannot view it on the scale I'd like you to via the blog. I intend to make this series BIG, as big as I can go without going broke.) I feel like I'm on my way and we'll see where I end up.


It's a fun adventure, whatever it is...

7 comments:

AG said...

Becca, these are gorgeous. I can tell what some of them are and some I can't tell. The blossom is amazing. I would love to see it big, I think that is a marvelous choice. So talented.

Mrs. A said...

wahoo for updates!

ibid said...

I am pleased to see the thought that is going into all this. I remember wondering when I first saw your first go at abstracts that it was great but I didn't understand why that was photography and not graphic design, so it is good to hear an explanation.

Loved the new photos. i am glad that though you aren't getting that "F" between your B and A you're still rawkin out the photos.

Can't wait to see what you can capture when you come visit.

lindsey said...

breathtaking. very excellent becca!

thinkHP said...

oh my gosh. these are AMAZING, seriously beck. I want them on my walls

PRONTO!!!!!!

Heidi said...

For whatever it's worth, I totally think you did it! I love the flower picture. I agree with Darren - I love your thought process on it all. And I am SO happy to see another post.

Stacie and Jared said...

You are amazing Becca! Um. . . I wish I had some of your mad photography skills! How about I trade you some of my Guitar Hero skill for some of your photography skill. . . deal?? haha! Really though, those pictures are incredible, and I just love you!