Joy in the Crunch


I love Fall, besides the obvious reason of Halloween, I love the weather and overall feel of the season, and......I do believe that it is officially here. In addition to the fact that the people who make the calendars have already declared it, the temperature has also suddenly dipped. It was a warm 70 degrees yesterday and then today it maybe reached 50 degrees for a minute. The air is nice and crisp and my hoodies are now a part of my outfit instead of being carried around for precaution's sake (blast those annually chilly rooms).

But here is the reason I love Fall most...fallen, crunchy leaves. My eldest sister blogged about this on her lovely list of simplicity a little bit ago and I must agree. When it comes to stepping on a big, curled up, dry leaf my alacrity never falters. Walking to and from school is much more adventurous when you're keeping a sharp eye for a good crunch. You see one about five paces ahead of you and so you make quick calculations in your head; I must slow down a tid, lengthen my stride a bit, and move ever so slightly to my left...then CRUNCH! Ahhhh, so satisfying.

When the crunching began this season I wondered if my delight in such an act was unwholesome, you know, delighting in destruction.....But, don't even worry, I've decided that that is the purpose of a fallen leaf! Alright, so obviously leaves must fall in order for trees to be able to brace the winter. And yes it only makes sense that without the nourishment from the tree they must dry up. But why are they so much fun to step on? Hummm? The logic only makes sense...

Here's to crunching.

4 comments:

Arianne said...

Here Here! Well Said!....10 extra points for "alacrity"....dang good word sis! I feel the exact same way as you, and love how well you put it.

Heidi said...

Oh oh! I know! It's been SO fun to walk around. I love that we all love it so much. And I second Arianne's comment about using alacrity - nicely done.

Miriam said...

I love to crunch leaves. I love the feeling and the sound the leaves make underneath my feet. Happy Thanksgiving!

Arianne said...

Hi Rebecca...
I'm sitting here with Arianne, and looking at your photography and writings...What a beautiful talent...I love it all...I was telling Arianne that I want you in our family!! I'm joking with her about a cousin I have who is 32, but he looks like he is 25...He is wonderful--anyway, maybe we can have you two meet one day ...

I love the word alacrity...long ago I bought some light bright yellow shirts and printed the word on a pocket and did this tiny abstract paintingbbelow the word that looks like 'cheerful readiness' SO it was fun seeing you use that word....

Well, I don't do blogs and facebook...but I would love to email you occasionally...

Oh, this is CarolAnn...Brandon's aunt....

My email is carolannpange@hotmail.com

Have a most beautious day!