"Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Tulp" - Rembrandt (I like the name 'Tulp')Once upon a time, the side of my face hurt and over a progression of a few days it went numb and then finally swelled. I was diagnosed with Bells Palsy. I vote for a name change because it sounds quite a bit more terrifying and permanent than it really is. It is a mysterious thing in that they do not know what causes it and there is really no rhyme or reason to who the lucky ones are that get it. However, it is curable and recoverable and it looks as if I will be just fine.
The purpose of this post is not to focus on what my brother so lovingly calls 'hells bells palsy' but rather to express the awe and respect I have for our bodies. It has been an interesting recovery and maybe even a little enjoyable because of the things I've felt. You know when you suck the air out of an empty milk jug and it starts to crumple in in abrupt portions? That's the best way I can describe how it felt as my face deflated, of course, on a much smaller scale. Then, ever since the swelling has gone down it has felt as if my muscles and nerves are dancing as they try to tighten back up (I would classify it more as a ballet than hip hop). The doctor said that what I'm feeling is my nerve regenerating. How neat is that! The fact that our bodies can heal themselves is simply amazing to me(even when they need some extra medicinal help...in fact, here's a shout out to modern medicine...thank you!). A while ago I found this quote by Elder Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve and I feel it's very applicable,
"The Fall of Adam (and Eve) constituted the mortal creation and brought about the required changes in their bodies, including the circulation of blood and other modifications as well. They were now able to have children. They and their posterity also became subject to injury, disease, and death. And a loving Creator blessed them with healing power by which the life and function of precious physical bodies could be preserved. For example, bones, if broken, could become solid again. Lacerations of the flesh could heal themselves. And miraculously, leaks in the circulation could be sealed off by components activated from the very blood being lost."
Our bodies are wondrous, fascinating, incredible, and awe-inspiring.

3 comments:
You Zufelts are such amazing writers.
I am SO glad that you are feeling better. I was worried.
I wholeheartedly agree. I have been in awe of my body for some time now. Thank you Hells Bells Palsy for deflating from my sisters face & almost all the way leaving her alone. I ask you to continue on your journey and go away completely. Please & Thank you!
I had no idea! The body is a pretty amazing thing, fixing itself when it can.
Post a Comment